Tuesday, September 19, 2006

United For Peace & Justice March

This morning on my way to work, I passed the people gathering for the United For Peace & Justice March. I was surprised to see that the group, marching to protest the war in Iraq, seemed to be comprised mostly of older people and not many young. A lot of the protestors appeared to be old enough to have marched and protested during the Vietnam War. While I think its great to see so many older Americans taking a stand, I was slightly disappointed at the lack of college-aged people present. I was fortunate to attend school during the relatively peaceful (at least for the US) years of the early 80’s but even at that time made a trip to Washington DC in 1992 to join the pro-choice March for Woman’s Lives. Looking at this mornings crowd I had to wonder, what will happen to peaceful protest when all of the original hippies are gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment