Thursday, September 06, 2007

Another Fashion Week?

My office is two blocks away from Bryant Park so I pass by and loiter there fairly often. Unfortunately, I won't be spending much time in the park for the next week or so because its time for Fashion Week! I know New York is a very fashionable city but it seems like there is a Fashion Week once a month.

Anyway, as I was passing by this morning the park and tents were overflowing with the fashionistas, fashion-mavens, fashionists or whatever the hell the fashionable term for those in the fashion industry is today. Out of all the people I spotted posing around the entrance to the tents, buzzing around the park and smoking on the sidewalk, 99% were dressed in all black. To me, this doesn't seem like a very difficult look to come up with. Anyone can dress in black from head to toe without putting any thought at all into the outfit. Morticia Adams favored this look as did Johnny Cash. Even fat girls have long donned the darkest shade.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't buy a car from a person who only owns a bike. So shouldn't the people who dictate what is style be forced to dress with a little more creativity?

5 comments:

  1. Maybe they were waiters? Did they have ties and aprons on too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ties or aprons but they did have assistants and entourages, which in NYC, doesn't mean they couldn't be waiters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to call these people "PIBs"

    People In Black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they wear black because this way if they spill some cocaine, it's easier to spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we call them Future Tragedies, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete