Thursday, June 26, 2008

pop-o-matic Reviews ... I Survived a Japanese Game Show

Critic's reviews have never influenced my decision to see or avoid something. Thumbs up or thumbs down, five stars, four apples, or ten rabbits - I don't care what someone I've never met thinks. The largest influencers of my viewing consumption are friends and fellow bloggers. In other words, you.

So here is my new review section in which, I'll share my thoughts on something and hope you chime in with your opinion in the comments section. Don't expect anything well thought-out or in depth from me. What you will get is whether I liked it or not.


As the country heads into Summer and the economy heads farther into the shitter, more people are scaling back their vacation plans. Fortunately, the networks aren't scaling back their new Summer programming and my favorite Summer show so far premiered earlier this week. I Survived a Japanese Game Show is an American reality show that premiered on ABC this past Tuesday. The show follows ten Americans, who leave the United States for Japan where they will compete in a Japanese game show. The winner will take home $250,000.



On Tuesday's show, the contestants arrived at LAX, where they thought they were about to take part on a typical reality show, one where someone ends up with a rose, a ring, or ring worm. They were picked up at the curb and immediately driven to the international gate and put on a plane to Tokyo. They barely had time to introduce themselves to one another when they were thrust onto the set of a rowdy and insane Japanese game show where they will compete against each other each week.

If your idea of entertainment is watching people willfully humiliate themselves in front of an audience for money, than this is the show for you. In other words, I like it! Check it out for yourself Tuesday nights on ABC.

2 comments:

  1. we watched it, and were disappointed that it was a reality show. we fast forwarded to the game show moments, though, and had fun.

    Did you watch Wipeout? Less reality - more wacky games. Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty, we didn't know it was going to be a Reality show either. I was glad to find that out but Seth wasn't.
    We also watched Wipeout - it was ok but seemed to really lack energy.

    ReplyDelete