Wednesday, May 21, 2008

pop-o-matic Reviews ... 30 Days Of Night

Critic's reviews have never influenced my decision to see or avoid something. Thumbs up or thumbs down, five stars, four apples, or ten rabbits - I don't care what someone I've never met thinks. The largest influencers of my viewing consumption are friends and fellow bloggers. In other words, you.

So here is my new review section in which, I'll share my thoughts on something and hope you chime in with your opinion in the comments section. Don't expect anything well thought-out or in depth from me. What you will get is whether I liked it or not.


Up first, horror flick, 30 Days Of Night, rated R and out now on DVD.

The story takes place in a small, remote, oil-refining town in northern Alaska, where once a year, the sun sets and doesn't rise again for 30 days - making it the perfect vacation spot for blood thirsty vampires. The film's star, Josh Hartnett is sort of annoying but he managed to play a likable character that I wasn't hoping would be killed off quickly after the start. 30 Days is a great mix of violent blood-shed, action, and suspense. Unfortunately, a lot of the suspense revolves around Hartnett's character who you know isn't going to be killed too early in the movie, which diminishes the suspense. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie until the final 15 minutes, which were ridiculous, seemingly thrown together at the last minute, and just plain crappy. Despite the ending, this was a good horror movie and I would recommend to fans of the genre.

My closing take on 30 Days Of Night? I liked it!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the spoiler. Sounds like Josh doesn't die. Now I'll never see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this review. It wasn't long and there wasn't an attempt to mimic the hoity-toity reviews often found in the New York Times or other newspapers. Jeff McKinney's writing was pitch perfect, with excellent use of punctuation and several flourishes of verbiage. It was a break out review. I give it 8 rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jdizzle, I never said whether he lives or dies.

    While watching the movie, I had a pretty good feeling that he wasn't going to die early in the film, which dimmished what should have been a suspenseful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Josh! I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pippinI agree wholeheartedly with this review. I have to say, I didnt mind the odd ending, as there was a sufficient amount of gore to satiate my bloodthirst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give it 4 Prognosis Negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff, I probably wouldn't have seen it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you recommend it for Josh Hartnett Fans Who Once Totally Saw Him a Block Away From Their Apartment in Brooklyn and He Said "Hey" to Them and OMG?

    ReplyDelete