Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Nerd Alert! Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies


Gary Gygax, the co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, the game that paved the way for today's role-playing games, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva, WI. He was 69 years old. According to his wife, Gail Gygax, he had been suffering from health problems for several years.

Gygax created Dungeons & Dragons with Dave Arneson in 1974 and the game has gone on to inspire video games, books, an animated series and movies. Cygax was still hosting his weekly D & D game as recently as January.

I never got into D&D but always thought it sounded interesting. I do remember loving that 80s cartoon though.

6 comments:

  1. I heard he choked on a 20-sided die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's dead.

    Oh.

    Wait.

    I confused this with your "Dead Or Alive?" feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, we have been lazy about selling one of the old original D&D editions on Ebay. A few months ago, it was supposedly worth @ $300....think it will be worth more now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I miss D&D...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I loved the cartoon, too! "Maaay!" That was my Uni impression. Wait, there was a unicorn named Uni, right?
    I have friends in NJ who STILL play regularly. Wait, maybe I should not announce that publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jdizz - this isn't Mean Spirited Monday.

    Lioux - this is Dead Or Alive?

    Kitty - Sell, sell, sell!

    Todd - you can always join Colleen's NJ friends.

    Colleen - It's too late. Your secret is out.

    ReplyDelete