Friday, March 30, 2007

Chocolate Jesus

Local catholic groups have no sweet tooth for a life-sized, anatomically correct sculpture of Jesus made entirely out of chocolate and scheduled to go on display at an East Side gallery at the Roger Smith Hotel.

The artist, Cosimo Cavallaro, calls his sculpture of Jesus on the cross - "My Sweet Lord," and he's inviting people to have a taste of it before it's taken down on Easter Sunday. An offended catholic group's spokesperson calls the sculpture a cheap publicity stunt.

This is the first I have heard of this sculpture and if it wasn't for the offended catholic groups vocal protests, I probably never would have known it existed. When will these people learn that If they really want to stop publicity stunts that they find offensive they should keep quiet and not create more publicity than the actual item itself. The same thing happened in 1999, when offended catholic groups created a huge buzz around the painting of the Virgin Mary done in elephant shit.

Now that I know about it, I have to see this sculpture for myself. Thank you offended catholic groups for spreading the word.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I think the chocolate Jesus is a very creative, yet daring idea. Many fundamentalists of most religions will kill when their religion has been mocked (recall cartoons of Mohammad).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 PM

    I just hope the gallery doesn't pull the sculpture because of pressure from these religous groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were to eat the Chocolate Jesus, would you start with ears.

    Like a chocolate bunny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd start with the feet. Less thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was raised Catholic, and I don't even understand what is offensive about this. But then, I work at Naked Man Magazine™®©®™.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:38 PM

    Where's chocolate Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Mary is supposed to be made out of nougat.

    ReplyDelete