Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Ikea Home of Tomorrow, Today!

I'll admit that I own two pieces of furniture from Ikea but one, a dresser, is the last remnant of my college days and surprisingly still in good shape. I'll also admit that I like Ikea's marketplace section where you can buy a bag of 50,000 tea-light candles for $1.99. But furnishing an entire home from Ikea is not exactly my idea of House Beautiful. I have friends whose places look like pages from the Ikea catalogue and they look really great, it's just not my style.


I just read about the Ikea House (pictured) and suddenly felt very frightened for humanity. Apparently these homes are already big sellers in Sweden and are now entering the UK market. They look incredibly depressing and I can only imagine an entire neighborhood of these things would look like a George Orwell nightmare. At least the tract houses of 1950's American suburbs were colorful.

9 comments:

  1. Ikea is the TOTAL hook up for 50,000 tea-light candles.

    They're awesome that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:11 AM

    I think I bought one of those bags 5 years ago and still haven't used them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a hell of a lot of hex screws

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you imagine figuring out the directions for this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet they come with lots of parts you really don't need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:23 AM

    Imagine how big the blue bag is to carry this home in.

    we could go on, and on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We sure could JD, you know all the parts would be located in different areas of the self-serve warehouse. How bad would it suck if you forgot to get the toilets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:40 AM

    I wonder if they come with a lifetime supply of meatballs and $1.50 hotdogs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would buy one of those houses for a lifetime supply of Ikea hot dogs. They're great!

    ReplyDelete